The following article was initially published October 23, 2018 via CompTIA AITP.
If you’re in search of the best city to jumpstart a tech career, but also want to enjoy quality of life and affordability, where would you call home? According to a new study, you might not need to look further than North Carolina.
CompTIA’s 2018 Tech Town Index found that Charlotte is the number one city for IT pros when it comes to job opportunity and cost of living, and Raleigh is just behind at number two. And if that wasn’t impressive enough for the Tar Heel state, Durham-Chapel Hill ranks 15th.
To determine America’s “Top 20 Tech Towns,” our researchers analyzed metropolitan areas where demand for tech workers is the greatest, and then ranked them based on cost of living, number of open IT positions, and projected job growth over the next five years. Read about all 20 Tech Towns in the full report.
Top 20 Tech Towns
- Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC
- Raleigh, NC
- Austin-Round Rock, TX
- San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA
- San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA
- Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX
- Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA
- Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO
- Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA
- Huntsville, AL
- Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV
- Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA
- Lansing-East Lansing, MI
- Madison, WI
- Durham-Chapel Hill, NC
- Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD
- Boston-Cambridge-Nashua, MA-NH
- Trenton, NJ
- Boulder, CO
- Colorado Springs, CO
To download the full Tech Towns report visit CompTIA’s website.