Ten students at Iowa State University completed the Next Gen Innovation Impact Study program hosted by America’s Cultivation Corridor in partnership with Start Something College of Agriculture and Life Sciences during the fall 2023 semester. The interns learned from Iowa’s agriculture and research leaders about innovative technologies, programs, research and practices that have the potential to significantly elevate agricultural sustainability and food system resilience in our state and around the world.
“The Next Gen program provides students with the opportunity to connect with and learn from leaders in Iowa agriculture, renewable fuels, food systems and more,” said Billi Hunt, executive director of America’s Cultivation Corridor. “Even more importantly, we’re looking forward to the students’ fresh perspectives and insights on agricultural sustainability and ideas to share their innovative ideas with the industry and consumers.”
Students completed a full schedule of learning opportunities including panel discussions, facility tours, networking events and mentoring. They also shared their experiences with media and on social media platforms:
The fall 2023 Next Gen Innovation Impact Study program was made possible with sponsorship from ISG and Midwest Dairy.
The interns included:
- Brayden Beinhart, senior majoring in Agricultural Engineering, from Keota, Iowa.
- Mari Dawley, senior majoring in Agricultural Business & Communication Studies, from Walford, Iowa.
- Adele Hogan, junior majoring in Food Science with a minor in Meat Science, from Monticello, Iowa.
- Ella Hommel, junior majoring in Agricultural Business, from Eldora, Iowa.
- Lex Kassel, junior majoring in Agricultural Business, from Emmetsburg, Iowa.
- Kody Koberg, senior majoring in Agricultural Business and International Agriculture, from Durant, Iowa.
- Rebecka Larson, senior majoring in Agriculture and Rural Policy Studies with minors in Political Science and International Ag, from Keithsburg, Ill.
- Haylie Moore, sophomore majoring in Global Resource Systems, Agricultural Business and Agriculture and Rural Policy Studies, from Montezuma, Iowa.
- Olivia Staudt, senior majoring in Agricultural and Rural Policy Studies with minors in Political Science and Horticulture, from Marble Rock, Iowa.
- Maddy Stevenson, junior majoring in Horticulture, from Story City, Iowa.
Published December 2023.